This dish is one of our absolute FAVORITES. It is healthy and packed with flavor in the best way. Everyone should try it at least once! 😀
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
⅛ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1-2 teaspoons of chili powder
1-2 teaspoons of onion powder
1 (14-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes drained juice, coarsely chopped
Bell Pepper OR can of Rotel (Level of heat is your preference)
Can of tomato paste
3 to 4 Cups of Spinach/Kale
¾ teaspoon salt, more as needed
¼ teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
6 large eggs
Chopped cilantro (for serving)
Naan (for serving)
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and optional bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Blend: Pour tomatoes and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Throw it into a blender along with remaining spices, jalapenos, spinach or kale, can of rotel (drained) or bell pepper. Blend until smooth, then pour into skillet with onion and garlic.
4. Stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne.
5. Simmer until tomatoes/paste have thickened, about 10 minutes.z
6. Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with naan.
You can also add goat cheese to this, and it is AMAZING.
Modified recipe from Shakshuka With Feta Recipe – NYT Cooking
Leftovers: Use as a pasta sauce over noodles of some kind or over eggs, any style.